Outdoor Socket.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I want an outdoor socket. I have read many posts and will not be working (if working at all) guided by posts alone!

We had new CU fitted by a fully qual' cert electrician, 2 years ago. RCDs all over it...(EDIT- I think I mean MCB'S)

If I spur off a socket that is on a ring (not itself a spur) and go to FCU, then outdoor socket should this be ok?

Assuming also that

-cable type is correct.

-I am using conduit from within the box of the FCU through the wall (sloping down) and going into the back of the outdoor socket- so conduit covers cable door-to-door, as it were.

-I drill out weep hole in outdoor socket.

One more Q. Given condensation issue- are there any safe means of insulation inside conduit to seal off air flowing indoors to outdoors?

Sponsored Links
I would use either a little silicon sealant or Vaseline to water proof and seal depending how handy or how often likely to revisit. Some greases conduct so I don't use grease.

Using FCU or if not already RCD protected a RCD FCU on a ring there should not be any problems. You do need to to test and ensure it is a ring.

Sponsored Links
You do not need a fcu, unless you want to beable to switch it off from inside.

Thanks- a good point. I will want to turn it off- you never know who might feed off it while we are on hols.

I was also thinking of a heath-robinson hook/stay thing to wind the cable around as a back-stop anchor. That way if I stray to far, I'll not yank the box off the wall...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back