What happens if I didn't do a mist coat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my bedroom walls skimmed in the Summer. Left them for 3 weeks to dry out. Then used a undercoat primer (by Levis - kinda like European Dulux), followed by 2 coats of water-based mat paint. I'm now just a bit worried that I'm going to have problems, after having read on here about mist coats and things. The room's been painted about 3 weeks, and still looks pretty good, although there are a few trowel marks in the plaster, but I guess that's not our fault. I'm just wondering if I'm now going to start seeing any blistering and things, because I didn't do the mist coat. Or would it have already appeared by now if there was a problem?

Sponsored Links
If the primer you used was designed for new plaster walls, and you applied it in accordance with the instructions, all should be well.

If not, the the paint may not adhere well.

Don't blu-tak or sellotape anything to the walls or you may pull it off.

Next time you are decorating you can try scraping a small sample in an out-of-the-way place where any damage wont show.

the mist coat we mostly use is basically as a sort of primer, to soak into the plaster and seal it in preparation for the finish coats. Plaster primer sealers are relatively expensive.

I think what I used was for new plaster. It certainly cost a fair bit - almost €100 for 5 litres! In any case, it seems to be holding pretty well - I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to get any cracks or bubbles or things. The room's been painted for nearly 2 months now, so fingers crossed I won't have any problems....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back