What Heating/HW System should i get based on my needs?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to buy a 4 bed detached house - living there will be me the missus and the 2.5 yr old nipper. No more kids planned or UNplanned!

will be converting the integral garage at some point and hope to put in a multi-use room extra lounge + shower and toilet that can also be used as a guest room when we have visitors.

the house currently has an old floorstanding potterton boiler and is a gravity system with a galvanised(last legs) water tank in the loft.

I have no intention to ever convert the loft as we will have more than enough space for our needs.............................so

My question is based on the above what system should we go for
im no expert but i will outline what i think the pros and cons are.

1.Direct replacement of the gravity system- New Tank(polyethylene) Boiler and rads (possibly new cylinder?)

Pros- Cheaper less hassle, will meet our current and growing needs?

cons- potential of leak from tank, Cant really use the loft for much though not likely to ever do so

2.Combi Boiler get rid of tank and cylinder, possibly put electric shower in guest room shower to prevent issues of water pressure if 2 people shower at the same time( This will not be a very common occurence right now but as the boy gets older probably will be)

Pros- get rid of cylinder and cold tank therefore less likely to have a leak
electric shower is back up for hot water showers if boiler fails, cheaper?

cons-electric shower is more expensive to run, will a combi do a decent job in a house this size?

3. System Boiler system- mains direct into a cylinder + No Water tank

pros- High mains pressure at all times from all taps and showers, No cold tank to worry about : leaks and could use the loft if i Ever wanted to

Cons- Expensive system, could pressurized system be more dangerous?
more costly to service and repair?

I dont mind spending a bit of money on a decent boiler/system but not rolling in cash either, need to do a lot of other work on the place as well.

really looking for best bang for buck and Basic Sensible approach based on our current and future needs

Sponsored Links
I would go the combi route for HW in Kitchen/ utility and unvented for bathrooms etc. If possible, solar panels to provide hot water during summer/ warm days.

Belt and braces job, better showers, do not have to be a system boiler. You can either put a half decent boiler or cheap and nasty that can be replaced if it gets to be a pain in the backside.

Personally i would opt for a decent combi with two normal showers if you won't be running two together at the mo.

In 10 years if its not enough hw, you can always add a unvented cylinder to your combi, which would become a system boiler almost

Sponsored Links
Personally i would opt for a decent combi with two normal showers if you won't be running two together at the mo.

if we have guests they might use the shower at the same time though it wouldnt be that often in reality

Would it not be worth putting in an electric shower as back up?

@DP not sure about solar panels not exactly cheap are they?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back