Question about replacing conventional heating system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a conventional central heating system which must by around 30 years old in a 3 bedrooom house.

Would it be possible to convert my system to a sealed system (using a new system boiler) whilst keeping the existing copper pipework but fitting new valves and radiators?

This would save a lot of time and hassle ripping up carpets and floorboards around the house. I understand that there can be leaks when leaving existing pipework in place when switching to a sealed system but this is more likely to happen at existing valves and radiator joints but I will be replacing the existing valves and radiators.

I would prefer a system boiler over a combi boiler because I may want to add a second bathroom in the future and don't want water pressure problems. It's also good to have a cylinder as a source of hot water in case the boiler fails in the future.

I currently have a cylinder/airing cupboard in my bedroom but I would like this repositioned into the loft above my room (though I understand that I will need a new cylinder).

The ultimate goal of this work is the following:
- More space in my bedroom by removing the airing cupboard and more space in the loft by removing the existing tanks.
- A reliable source of well pressured hot water.
- Hopefully lower heating bills through a more efficient boiler and radiators.

Please advise as to the pros and cons of the above and any other useful advice to ensure that I don't have any problems in the future.

Sponsored Links
Hi there, yes it is possible to keep your old pipework, however, read below;

Pros's - Condensing boilers now can be 90 percent efficient, your maybe as low as 65 percent efficient or lower.

Lower CO2 emmision and heating bills.

Can also fit a magnaclean or equivilent or constantly cleanse the system. Resulting in a possible annual saving in fuel bills of upto 6 percent.

New controls (programmable thermostat) can now be fitted to the system.

System will need to be power flushed, so cleaner pipework may be expected.

Cons - May expose leaks in system as pressure will be higher in system.

Hope this helps.

Nothing wrong with keeping your old pipework, it should hold up and if it doesn't it'll still be cheaper to fix a leak than replace the lot.

Pressurising your heating system won't give you higher pressure hot water though, and you'll still need your loft tank to feed it unless you're intending to have an unvented cylinder fitted. You should only have a UV cylinder if your mains is up to it, you need to get your dynamic flow rate tested first.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back