Small Conventional Boiler

I would add the same investigation that calculated the 1-2% efficiency hit if burn time exceeded 3 minutes calculated a 12% penalty if the boiler cycles every 10 seconds so managing cycling is important.

Sponsored Links
Please don't go combi, and beware of installing a powerful boiler, even one that modulates very low, because there may be a hidden cost in upgrading the gas supply. Similarly the cost of installing mains water to top-up a (sealed) system boiler may bump up the installation cost.

My advice would be to go for the Ideal Logic plus Heat 12 with their Ideal branded filter to get 10 years guarantee. Add a decent OpenTherm roomstat or weather compensation, and spend the rest on insulation upgrades, especially around the hot water cylinder (money well spent).

A hot water cylinder will come into its own in a few years when solar PV panels may be utilised to heat the water, hence the advise to stay away from combis.

My opinion is just that.

Sponsored Links
Please don't go combi, and beware of installing a powerful boiler, even one that modulates very low, because there may be a hidden cost in upgrading the gas supply. Similarly the cost of installing mains water to top-up a (sealed) system boiler may bump up the installation cost.

My advice would be to go for the Ideal Logic plus Heat 12 with their Ideal branded filter to get 10 years guarantee. Add a decent OpenTherm roomstat or weather compensation, and spend the rest on insulation upgrades, especially around the hot water cylinder (money well spent).

A hot water cylinder will come into its own in a few years when solar PV panels may be utilised to heat the water, hence the advise to stay away from combis.

My opinion is just that.

Thank you. I am more on this wave length. I won't be swapping to a combi. The set-up I have currently is that if the boiler breaks down, I can use a couple of oil filled electric heaters till boiler is repaired. I also have the emersion heater for hot water to fall back on.

Financially, I don't think I would ever recoup my costs of converting the system to a sealed system. Not that I actually understand the difference between what I have and a sealed system.

I have a company coming round to quote on Wednesday so I will indicate what I want - if they recommend something else, I will make sure they document why it is a better option before giving the go ahead. I am aiming for another quote as well.

Thank you everyone for all your input.

Thank you. I am more on this wave length. I won't be swapping to a combi. The set-up I have currently is that if the boiler breaks down, I can use a couple of oil filled electric heaters till boiler is repaired. I also have the emersion heater for hot water to fall back on.

Financially, I don't think I would ever recoup my costs of converting the system to a sealed system. Not that I actually understand the difference between what I have and a sealed system.

I have a company coming round to quote on Wednesday so I will indicate what I want - if they recommend something else, I will make sure they document why it is a better option before giving the go ahead. I am aiming for another quote as well.

Thank you everyone for all your input.

A sealed system doesn't cost much more than an open vent system. The cost difference is roughly the cost of a new pump.

Just so you know a Conventional system has an external pump, a sealed system boiler has a pump built in. That's essentially all the difference is.

A sealed system doesn't cost much more than an open vent system. The cost difference is roughly the cost of a new pump.

Just so you know a Conventional system has an external pump, a sealed system boiler has a pump built in. That's essentially all the difference is.

Plus an expansion vessel and PRV in most cases of course..........

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back