Conventional to combi quote.

Sponsored Links
My advise would be to keep clear of BG. I don't believe I've ever seen a good BG installation...

My advise would be to keep clear of BG. I don't believe I've ever seen a good BG installation...

Sponsored Links
That’s what we had done. Unvented involves a new hot water storage cylinder and you do away with the cold water storage tank. Advantage is that you still have stored hot water but it will be at near mains pressure. You keep your conventional heat-only boiler.

Thats very interesting, and thanks.

Not an unusual observation, though my experience has been different. We had a Worcester Greenstar 28i installed by BG in 2005 in our last house, and that installation went like a dream. I've had BG's Homecare boiler cover for many years, and although I understand the argument that its better to put the money away towards potential repairs rather than buy insurance, I've been happy with their work when I've needed them.

Couldn’t you have your existing system converted to sealed/unvented?

If you have the room this is the best way to go.... Cheaper hot water.
Use less water
Back up hot water if boiler breaks down.
Less to go wrong with a conventional system.

what you have been quoted for is more than adequate for your needs , a combi is the correct way to go , as already said I would go for a higher rated one , they are physically the same size just a bigger plate heat exchanger and some different settings on the boiler , everything else is the same, a big investment to last you a long time so get it right for the sake of an extra few quid

Thanks again. As it happens we've decided to wait a bit until we've more money in the bank so that we can expand our options and look at the situation again, but all the grist this thread has provided has been noted and will be taken into account.

Many thanks for all constructive contributions.

Not an unusual observation, though my experience has been different. We had a Worcester Greenstar 28i installed by BG in 2005 in our last house, and that installation went like a dream. I've had BG's Homecare boiler cover for many years, and although I understand the argument that its better to put the money away towards potential repairs rather than buy insurance, I've been happy with their work when I've needed them.

Their insurance I don't have a quibble with... Its the state and quality of their installations

Their insurance I don't have a quibble with... Its the state and quality of their installations

Which in my experience has been at worst adequate. Other opinions are of course available.

Which in my experience has been at worst adequate. Other opinions are of course available.

BG called me once to see if I would consider sub contracting for them on a price.....

To get an idea of their prices I asked how much the pay for a Powerflush. I can't remember the rate.. But they paid two hour to carry out a full powerflush. It would take me 2 hours to set up and pack away my equipment... A full day I spend powerflushing.

BG called me once to see if I would consider sub contracting for them on a price.....

To get an idea of their prices I asked how much the pay for a Powerflush. I can't remember the rate.. But they paid two hour to carry out a full powerflush. It would take me 2 hours to set up and pack away my equipment... A full day I spend powerflushing.

I often see BG being slagged off on forums like this one, but as a customer I can only judge them on that one installation and a number of maintenance/ repair calls, all of which I've been happy with. So we're not going to agree.

I often see BG being slagged off on forums like this one, but as a customer I can only judge them on that one installation and a number of maintenance/ repair calls, all of which I've been happy with. So we're not going to agree.

My point is not aimed at there maitanance... They are well trained and well backed up... I would however say their sub contracters installations are not as good, possibly because of poor installation prices.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back