Conventional to combi quote.

Sponsored Links
I had missed the 25Kw part, and I agree with Ian, there is rarely a good reason for fitting one, IMO.

As an aside, why are you changing from storage to combi? Is the infrastructure in good order? Do you need to save space?. If the cylinder and pump etc, is fine (and cylinder well insulated - what colour is it?) then it is cheaper to do a straight swap - and is often a better solution. WE have a large bungalow, with 2 of us. She has a bath daily, I prefer a shower (off the cylinder) We have it running for 2 hours a day only, timed before returning from work, to avoid cycling, and we never run out of hot water. Even when my son visits (showers) for the weekend)

TBF, I am a bit wary of making comments like this, because it will encourage Bernie - whom I am surprised has not started one of his ant combi rants yet.

One reason is because in our last two houses we've had combis, both Worcesters, and became used to having a thermostatic shower which provided hot water at more or less mains pressure. We have very good mains pressure here, but in winter the electric shower provides little more than a trickle when at a comfortable setting.

Additionally I don't like having large containers of water and oodles of pipework in the loft and the risks (albeit minimal ones if proper insulation is maintained) that such a situation entails. The conventional boiler and system itself is in good shape because we've had it serviced annually since we moved in, and its now about nine years old. So the reason for considering a combi is not so much related to any problems with the system itself (other than the shower situation) or any requirement to save space ( though removing the tanks would enable us to jam even more clutter into the loft) but more to do with a personal preference for combi over conventional; one which has had to go on the back burner till now whilst we had other, more urgent work done on the bungalow.

There are just the two of us here now, the hot water fires up twice a day for half an hour and we have enough for our needs. So yes you're right, and what we have is adequate...however, I can't help but think back to the skin stripping power of that thermostatic shower with such longing.

Also if you're wanting a Worcester boiler then that's not cheap to start with.

You're right, and that was factored into our calculations. However, as I said earlier we've had two Worcesters thus far in our previous two homes and they were both reliable.

Sponsored Links
Couldn’t you have your existing system converted to sealed/unvented?

what you have been quoted for is more than adequate for your needs , a combi is the correct way to go , as already said I would go for a higher rated one , they are physically the same size just a bigger plate heat exchanger and some different settings on the boiler , everything else is the same, a big investment to last you a long time so get it right for the sake of an extra few quid

I am not ant combi,

Come on bernard,please tell the truth :idea: Hope your never called for jury service :cry:

if I would rant it would be against the installers who sell combi's to customers when a combi is not the best solution for the customer's requirement but is a quick profit for the installer

many customers actually ask independent gas installers to quote on conversion to combination gas boiler after they have been quoted for one from a leading blue chip well known uk company.

All installing companies want the revenue work,some want to push for more yearly up-sells after the initial work.

Bernard,there are plenty of gas combination boilers already installed in your village,yes i survived Bernards village after being there for a gas project and enjoyed the cakes. Bernard why be a gas combination denier (n)

bernard,as a side note please can i use your photos and comments for a project https://www.itv.com/news/anglia/2012-03-06/government-holds-sat-nav-summit/

Sorry, I don't know what that would involve.
That’s what we had done. Unvented involves a new hot water storage cylinder and you do away with the cold water storage tank. Advantage is that you still have stored hot water but it will be at near mains pressure. You keep your conventional heat-only boiler.

after they have been quoted for one from a leading blue chip well known uk company.

Come on be honest. isn't the case that selling and installing a combi is often more profitable than selling and installing a system with hot water cylinder. The blue chip people convince the customer that a combi is "just what they need, think about all that extra space when the cylinder is gone" without any mention of the shortcomings of a combi.

Those blue chip salespeople can be very convincing.

Please PM me about the sat nav article and copyright on the images.

Since that article the local council have added width restriction signage and the number of offending vehicles has been significantly reduced

Last edited:
So if we removed the electric shower, installed hot and cold pipework to a thermostatic shower and fitted a pump, we could have still have decent pressure with a conventional system? Not considered that option.

Yes. Exactly. You could get a really decent shower with the right pump and it would "take your skin off" until the cylinder is depleted of hot water... This is the way to go without great expense.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back