Central heating system choices

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of specifying a new central heating system for a Victorian 2 bedroom semi detached house. Initially the system will provide heating via conventional radiators and hot water. I am adding a loft bedroom; this will probably have under-floor heating, mainly due to lack of space for radiators and a second bathroom.

My main priority is making sure that the new system is as efficient as possible.

From my research to date I have come up with the following solution:

System boiler, sized correctly (not too big), I am thinking around 10Kw.
Un-vented – indirect cylinder, around 185 litres.
Intelligent controller with outside temperature sensor etc.

I would like to add some solar heating in the future, so a twin coil cylinder might be the solution. If possible the controller would also be able to look after the under-floor heating and solar water heating as well.

I have looked at using a heat bank solution (GXV) from DPS, but I gather from this forum that these are more suitable for very large systems.

I would really appreciate some feedback on whether I am going along the right lines and more specifically any suggestions on the best boiler / tank / controller to go for.

Sponsored Links
HI

just one point.
10 kw boiler is too small :( .i suggest min 16kw

10kW is probably fine but you need to do a heat loss calculation to confirm.

UFH in your loft conversion is unlikely to provide enough heat output! It only gives a maximum of about 50-60w/m² which is hardly ever enough for a loft room.

Tony

Have you thought about Vaillant. They do everything you've mentioned, ecotec system boiler, aurostor twin coil cylinder, solar panels, weather compensation. Worth a mention anyway. Although you would have to look into the seperate control for the UFH, but it is possible to work it in.

Sponsored Links
He needs a heat bank which is superb for UFH and solar heating. A 10kW directly coupled "heating" boiler will probably do as only average usage is taken into account using heat banks. Best get the cheapest boiler you can no matter what the size. 24kW boilers are cheap enough. Oversizing makes no difference to a directly heated heat bank. It means a faster reheat and no adverse effects to the boiler.

Look at stainless steel heat banks:
http://www.advanceappliances.co.uk/index.html

I'd suggest a Viessmann 343.

Everything you need in one box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back