Central Heating System

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all
I have a problem with my central heating system in that one of the upstairs radiators and the hot water cylinder neither will bleed properly. There is always air in them and the radiator will only bleed half way and the hot water cylinder not at all now.
I have a back boiler, Baxi Bermuda 551, which heats a hot water cylinder and radiators. The only water tank I have is a tank that feeds cold water to the indirect hot water cylinder. There is no separate tank to feed the central heating and it is not fed by the aforementioned tank. I am assuming therefore that the heating must be fed its water direct from the cold water main. If this is the case I would assume that there would have to be some sort of one way valve and as the system has been in for nearly 40 years it may have had its day. Before anybody asks, I haven’t got a tank hidden in the loft, it’s a dormer bungalow so no loft.
Is this a system that anybody has come across? And am I thinking along the right lines and if so what will be between the water main and the central heating system.
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Hi

Not sure what you mean by "primatic", cant find anything written on it as its covered in foam insulation. As far as I am aware it an indirect hot water cylinder. I dont think its a problem with the cylinder as it effects a radiator as well. Also I have had a problem with the radiator needing bleeding for a number of years, but it has got worse and worse untill now the radiator will only heat to about six inches from the bottom and the hot water cylinder will not heat at all. If I try bleeding every couple of hours air comes out but then stops.

Thanks again

Certainly the system is not supplied directly from the mains water!

To prove that its a primatic, you could tie up the ball valve in your cistern. Then try draining your heating system and see if the level in the cistern falls! If it does then its a primatic!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi

Thanks for the advice. I can't find Primatic anywhere on the cylinder but it must be as there is no other water supply. Will try draining tank at weekend.

Thanks again for help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back