What is "Cyclic record"?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very cheap camera bought because it is water proof and small enough to fit on my cycle helmet. However it seems the instructions are rather lacking. It reports as Version SJ4000 215 V142 and it seems the instructions were written for some other camera as for still photos it states 3Mp or 5Mp but in real terms it is 32Kb and 80Kb.

The interaction between functions is hard to work out, the auto power off is either 1 or 3 minutes, but is disabled when taking video or set to motion detection.

But can't work out is cyclic record should switch off the camera after 3, 5, or 10 minutes, or switch on the camera every 3, 5, or 10 minutes? I tried both and neither seems to work, it does not switch off or one when 3 minute cyclic record is selected.

I wonder if either the feature was never included in software or if I have some thing else set which stops it. Any ideas.

Seems I have found the answer, the 3, 5, or 10 minutes is the size of the video produced it splits the video into small lumps to use as a dash cam and once card is full it should delete first. Not holding my breath but at least found out what it is.

It was listed as 140° degrees, but it is more like 50° degrees about the same as a 50mm lens on a 35mm camera. However it is water proof and cheap enough I will not cry too much if I come off my bike and smash it.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It would seem that is the idea and by splitting into 3, 5, or 10 minute blocks you select how often it over writes. However the camera does not do what it says on the packet and as yet not filled the card to find out if it actually over writes. Problem is the instructions are next to useless.

Sponsored Links
I have a very cheap camera

Problem identified then, surely? That, and Chinglish instructions.

Anyway, my bet is on how it over-writes in video mode. Since the recording options are all sub-10-mins then is it really such a big deal just to leave it to record video when pointing at a clock for half an hour and then check playback?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back