What is flexible enough to bend around 40mm

ABN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For my second attempt at furniture building going to TRY to build something like this

tvunit1.jpg

Although not that clear from the picture the top overhangs by about 40mm on each side. This then meets the lower part of the cabinet via a 40mm curve. Bit like coving I suppose, can’t think of a better way of describing it.

What I’m not sure of is what I can use that will be flexible enough to be able to be bent to a 40mm radius. The final thing will be covered in flexy veneer so appearance of the material used to make the radius is not important, providing the veneer can be stuck to it.

Second but less important is the edge in the top. As shown in the picture the edges are curved. Have brought some edging which I can tack on to give that effect. Tested to see if flexy veneer stuck to the top will bend around it but it just cracks. So how best to add and veneer it so that it doesn’t just look like an add on. If need be will leave the edges square but would prefer to use the beading.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Theres plenty of timber moulding suppliers out there eg http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?i...m=10&um=1&hl=en&cr=countryUK%7CcountryGB&sa=N
just a case of trawling the web, if you're after a wood veneer finish, why not just get the moulded bits knocked up by a local sawmill/moulding supplier and get the flat bits supplied by the same company so it all matches - save yourself a whole load of hassle veneering.

- save yourself a whole load of hassle veneering.
But that's half the fun. I enjoy making things and the challenges they bring. Nothing more satisfying than to look at something and think "I made that" (providing it turns out OK). Thus it's a hobby if you like.

Will look for mouldings though would have thought with the right material should be easy enough to do myself, and hence more satisfying :)

Short of vinyl wrapping it there is no easy way to cover that tight a radius. Even with my vacuum press I could not easily bend flexiveneer to that curve.

For the top your best bet is to veneer the flat surface then add a half round trim to the edge, this could be a rectangular section that can then have the curve cut with a router once it's in place, doing it this way you could use endgrain strips for the two ends so it looks like solid timber.

For the "cove" a quadrant moulding in hardwood or a cornice cutter in the router will be your best bet, may just be possible to press veneer onto a curve like this as its all long grain.

Why are you making it with flexi veneer, the whole job could be done with pre veneered boards, iron on edging and a few solid timber mouldings.

Jason

Sponsored Links
ABN - the way to make this is to lip the top in solid timber to enable you to router the profiles; the cornice moulding is planted on afterwards. You will not successfully achieve your aim if you attempt to veneer all surfaces; how will you finish corners of the top, for example? The only really flexible veneers are rotary cut but these suffer from a grain pattern which is often wild & unnatural.

Why am I making it with flexi veneer. Good question which I keep asking myself.

Truth is that originally we where going for a different design which would have required a lot of mitre joints. My mitre joints are crap so plan was to use butt jointed MDF then veneer afterwards. All materials were brought then the other half decided she didn’t like the design so now going for this which don’t need the mitre joints but have the material. Other reason is that the “design” is a bit suck it an see. Cut and tac it together and add/remove bits to adjust to suit the atheistic appearance. This we couldn’t do with the pre veneered MDF.
Other thing is not to sure about the pre veneered board. Seems to be cheaper than the flexi veneer so was not sure if the veneer is as good/thick etc.

Not got a router, have toyed with the idea of getting one but would hardly ever use it so decided against.

Think I will stick with square edges, will give a very slight softening of th eedge by using 2 thickness of the edging veneer and rounding the edges as done on the coffee table.

Trying to find a suitable moulding for under the top, but not a lot of success yet, prefer to buy direct rather than via the internet. Thinking of using paper mache as a possible solution at the moment.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back