what is it?

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hi,

What is it? and is it necessary, it looks to me like stuff is sometimes flowing back up it, and it's after the u-bend so that lovely drain smell is prevalent :sick:

Thanks
James

Attachments

• sink.JPG
    sink.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 141
Sponsored Links
With the adjustable control knob it looks like a pressure relief valve, do you have high water pressure at the taps? And really don`t like the way the back hose joins the white plastic pipe lower down, is it just pushed in?

This water line is feeding into a boiler to heat hot water for the tap, my guess is it's not any more high pressure than usual here in the netherlands, the plack pipe is pushed onto a nipple to feed into the down pipe.

Pressure Relief Valve outlet on the cold water to the Instantaneous HW heater, it's a safety device. It's not very clear but looks like that grey cup is a tundish, can you see into that?
Wouldn't normally have a flexi pipe in the feed to the heater though, nor the D2 outlet after the tundish :eek:

Sponsored Links
So there is a dishwasher outpipe linked in higher up, it it likely that water could be coming back up this black discharge pipe?

Attachments

• IMG_20190928_144013.jpg
    IMG_20190928_144013.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 54
Yes, very likely. As everyone has mentioned @jimlad that needs fitted correctly. Not sure how they do it in Holland but over here that just wouldn't be right.

Any blockages or restrictions and it will all pour out of that tundish. You will be getting smells from it too. It's a safety device and needs to be done properly.

so what handles the expansion
The flexi pipes ;)

depends on the size of the unit, some of them can use the cold water supply pipe as long as there's a certain length back to a branch/check or isolation valve, which certainly wouldn't be the case with that install by the looks of it.

The flexi pipes ;)

depends on the size of the unit, some of them can use the cold water supply pipe as long as there's a certain length back to a branch/check or isolation valve, which certainly wouldn't be the case with that install by the looks of it.

I know mate... I have one in my workshop and I used the cold supply for that purpose, by extending it the required distance from the unit to the stopcock/isolator.

But! I can't see any allowance for this in the photos above... Looks more like the PRV is being used to discharge the excess pressure :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back