What is maximum number of 13A Sockets on a Ring Main?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to wire my extension, which has three rooms. So I was wondering whether to have two ring mains or just one. There'll probably be about 5 or 6 double sockets per room Total floor area is 34m^2.

What is an acceptable maximum number of 13A double sockets on a single Ring Main, using 2.5mm cable, please?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
There is no maximum number. A designer will look at the demand and design the installation depending on the loads.

The IEE's On Site Guide (note the word guide) says that a ring can serve a floor area not exceeding 100m².

To add to what TTC wrote:

What rooms are in the extension?

If bedrooms, then it shouldn't be a problem to use a single RFC, if you have a kitchen, utility room, garage, etc, then these are best on their own ring finals due to heavy loading

Sponsored Links
no it won't. computers are weedy little things using few amps.

appliances that use a lot of power are fan heaters, ovens, water heaters, washing machines, tumble driers.

John, do you have fan heaters, ovens, water heaters, washing machines and tumble dryers in your bedroom and dining room?

I think he's right, his computer room will probably draw the most out of the three rooms.

no it won't. computers are weedy little things using few amps.

appliances that use a lot of power are fan heaters, ovens, water heaters, washing machines, tumble driers.

Thankfully, I won't using any of the above appliances in the bedroom or Dining room. ;) Perhaps a clock radio, occasional vacuum cleaner etc, maybe.

they're all trivial loads

hardly worth installing a new RFC for them.

I agree, the OP has called it a computer room rather than an office which may suggest that he has lots of kit including UPS's etc.

It does all add up and, if it is a large installation the kit could be on all the time.

I'm in a similar situation and I have installed a dedicated 32A radial to my office on the non-rcd side in the CU (installation is TT with 100mA TD on the non-32mA RCD side).

We get fairly regular power outages where I live and hence the need for UPS.

The wife asked if I could put the Sky, TV in the bedroom and her hair straighteners on the UPS last time the power went out ... Priceless :LOL:

MW

JohnD said:
they're all trivial loads

hardly worth installing a new RFC for them.
It is if you put that RFC on an RCBO, such that those nuisance trips from cooker/freezer etc. don't take out the computers in the middle of updating that bikini-waxing client database. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back