Spur from a ring main

I found and old DIY book recenty, so had to turn straight to the electrics section naturally.

The introduction struck me as slightly irresponsible. I have underlined the worst bit :eek:

electricbook1.jpg

Sponsored Links
Actually, you couldn't go far wrong getting the EB to check your work. I had to in 1986 after upgrading a shower circuit for my Mum. I fitted 10mm² T&E and a rectangular MK switch (45A) - the old ones with two screws per terminal (much better than today's single screw ones).

I fitted a Wylex standard 1 way board with the (now old style) push button 45A plug in MCB.

The Norweb inspector came & inspected my work & tested everything. He recommended that I change the MCB for a BS 88, not sure why, and also recommended I upgrade bonding to 10mm² before he would connect up for me.

I'm sure that 10mm² was not a requirement back then, but it meant it was to current standard of the next edition!!

RF Lighting said:
I found and old DIY book recenty, so had to turn straight to the electrics section naturally.

The introduction struck me as slightly irresponsible. I have underlined the worst bit :eek:

electricbook1.jpg

Why is it that in all DIY Books the way they say to run power in outbuildings is by a piece of T+E run in PVC Round Conduit, buryed in a trench covered with paving slabs, but never say to use SWA.

'Why is it that in all DIY Books the way they say to run power in outbuildings is by a piece of T+E run in PVC Round Conduit, buryed in a trench covered with paving slabs, but never say to use SWA.'

Because they are wrong!

:mad:

Sponsored Links
empip said:
securespark said:
This from the 14th edition, 1 October 1966:

A.40 For ring final subcircuits complying with regulations A.30-33, non-fused spurs shall be connected to the ring ....or at the origin of the ring in the distribution board. ..[/b]
There has been some huffing and puffing abaht this too, at times ...
I bet tis allowed in the latest regs too.
:cool:

You mean the 16th? Yes.

And the DPC for the 17th, which I have right in front of me!!

Rings are not abolished in the 17th DPC, nor BS3036's, you'll be pleased to hear, matey!

Long live those brass fuse carriers!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back