What is that thing?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. Ok I need some help identifying this waste pipe insert (see attached photos).

Basically, it goes inside the 40 mm waste pipe (see photo) so it is possible to fit a trap outlet locking ring. Without that insert, the joint is not water proof and it leaks. I need to find a replacement as soon as possible.

How is that thing called? I couldn't find anything on B&Q that resembles this.
Its plastic, it has an internal diameter of 35mm and an external diameter (on one side) of 45mm. As you can see in the photos it fits perfectly on the waste pipe and on the sealing ring (ok I couldnt set it straight for the photo :) ) giving a waterproof seal.

Anyone? Can you help me please?

Sponsored Links
Its a cap, stopend

Basically its capping off an old waste outlet, say off a washing machine/dish washer.

;)

its a 40mm waste pipe insert.
where is the black o ring that gos with it ?

hi,
ok maybe it wasnt clear from the photo, but this insert doesnt have a bottom so its not a cap (see new photo)

it didnt have a rubber ring and its only purpose is to make a watertight seal between the waste pipe (40mm) and the trap outlet. without this insert there is water dripping.

So, how can I find a replacement like that? I have 4 traps (dishwasher, washing machine and 2 basins) and 4 of those inserts. One of them is cracked and needs to be replaced. So, its not a custom job i guess but they must sell these things somewhere.

All I could find in B&Q were some rubbery 40-to-32mm reducers that didn't fit on the 40 mm waste pipe. Does anyone know where I can find something similar to this plastic insert on the internet?

Also, what other way is there to connect the 40mm waste pipe to a trap? As you can see the gray waste pipe has no joint but it has been cut out and joins to the trap with the help of that insert.

Any ideas? Thank you

Sponsored Links
ah yes indeed. it looks like it. what the hell is a Ferrule :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

anyway yes i think that might be it. Thanks very much. At least now I know what I am looking for and I can try to find it from that company online.

By the way, as a temporary solution i used two rubber seals. One like shown in the figure and one in the plastic Nut body and so far it seems to do the trick.

It is a temporary solution nevertheless and I should buy the ferrule....(what a name :LOL: :LOL: ).

Thank you very much for the info

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back