what is the best brand of self leveling compound to use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am planning on using some slc on my kitchen and bathroom floor and would be greatful if any of you have found a particular brand any good. Also I have read the sticky and it says to avoid latex and go for water based....would waterbased be ok on a kitchen and bathroom floor? It also mentioned to check the moisture content of the floor....I had 3 guys over to quote the job none of them felt the need to do this....or pre fill the cracks etc just cover it all in a few mm wait a day one guy said the others said 3 to 4 days and cover in vinyl...when I asked they said its for new floors etc....not too sure if thats right....I would appreciate any advise...my house is a 60s I have taken everything off the floor so its bare..ready to be levled and have its new covering on top.

Many thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
A moisture test should be taken before any vinyl is laid

Some screeds you can lay on the same day and some take a few days if no heat in house or no ventilation.

Latex screeds are fine. The stickys above are out of date now.

Bare concrete then water mix is the best.

Loads of good trade Produts out there

F.ball
Ardex
Uzin

Are the best

Thank you for replying. How would I do the moisture test? I think ive read tape down sone plastic....and see if moisture developes after a few days?

Did you mean water based mix is best for bare concrete? Sorry if my questions are dumb...ive never been accused of being quick on the uptake hehe. :LOL:

lol don't worry.

If it's new concerte then water based is great.

If old concrete then test needs doings before you decide on screed.

1965 onwards houses should have a visqueen damp proof membrane under them. Some don't though. Maybe if skirting off on outside walls you can see a sheet?

A Floorlayer should have a hydro box to do a test. Which will tell you the RH% which needs to be below 75%

A latex screed will be fine.

Fball stopgap 1200 pro is the most common I use.

Try the sheet test and see how you get on.

Sponsored Links
I went to a flooring place they recommended maypi? Self leveling compound and primer do you know if this is any goid as a brand? They didnt sell the f.ball nearest place that does is nealy 50 miles from me. Any advice I would appreciate

Yes that's the stuff...it is going over concrete any hints or tips will be appreciated. I'm using the primer also.

Many thanks

Get a spiked roller! Makes the job a lot easier, they're around £20 but worth it. Helps levelling out, makes it a lot quicker.

Yes spike roller will help. Tradeplan flows well too so that will help. Make sure it's not hot where you mix it as that makes the screed go off quick and harder to spread.

Put mastic tape around the skirts. Then when the screed is dry cut the tape off

Thank you so much for your help it is much appreciated hope it turns out OK lol

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back