What is the best underlay for laminate over wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I want to lay laminate in 1st floor flat over a wooden floor. It is an old house, converted into 2 flats, and I am concerned about noise - both the noise that the flat downstairs will have and the noise in the room. The floorboards have gaps etc - building about 100 years old! Should I be using fibreboard or rubber acoustic underlay? My instinct is to go with fibreboard, because it will even the floor and help with retaining heat, but would really appreciate some advice. Also, if I do use fibreboard would I need 4mm or 7mm?

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
Definately Fibreboard in my opinion, I always use this and it does make a big difference to the noise levels when walking on it. Re: size .... if you can get the larger thickness of board without having too big a 'step' at the door of other rooms then go for it.

Thanks for that alexnic! Guesss what I'll be doing on the weekend!

Check your lease (if it is leashold) as there may be a restriction on flooring.

Sponsored Links
Hiya diyisfun

Not sure what the actual lease says, but the freeholder lives below, and she is fully aware of what I'm up to. We've agreed that I will start with a small back bedroom, which is over her kitchen, and based on how she feels after that I will do the other rooms. Thanks for raising it though - I am a bit of a diy virgin so need all the help I can get!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back