What is the best way to deal with the overflowing guttering?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am wondering what the best way would be to deal with this guttering problem:

c250w*Y9kgZ2z8j6WQuYl5bdn250IUyjUATMv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

The problem is indicated with the arrow.
In (Heavy) rain the guttering will overflow badly at the location of the arrow.

One cause of the overflowing is that the corner is slightly lower than the other end of the guttering, so ther will usually be an inch of water in it.

Simply raising the guttering might make this better.

I am concerned that the amount of water in general is too much, anyway. The upper/roof guttering has water running onto the bathroom roof. The area may just catch too much water.

eff0tBys-ONmvje1XekWMUWq5o35PMYfANdov4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

2 questions:
1.. My initial plan was to add a running outlet where the problem is, and run a pipe down, which connects to the pipe running down from the main roof and ends in the sewer. I feel that this may be easier, cheaper and more effective than trying to raise the guttering slightly. Question: is the current pipe too thin? Or can I just connect it?

c250w*Y9kgZ2z8j6WQuYl5bdn2b1TsRU-TNgv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

2. I have started wondering whether it may not be easier to also run a pipe from the one that ends on the bathroom roof and connect it to the one mentioned under my first plan. Same question: will this rely on too much water running down one pipe?

I hope my description is clear.

Thanks for your help. I hope the pictures help illustrate the problem.

Sponsored Links
Well for starters, a pipe should never eject straight onto a roof, so run a pipe down into the existing gutter and raise up that end so that the fall is correct, this will probably solve it.

When running multiple outlets into a single downpipe it's best to use a hopper so bear that in mind if adding any more guttering.

I can't help thinking it would have been better to connect the gutter into the soil pipe, rather than giving it a seperate downpipe, much neater.

Also what direction does the gutter on the main roof fall? If going from left to right then that downpipe on above the lean to will only be taking away water that falls in the small section of roof around the chimney stack, leaving the other central outlet to deal with all the rest, which looks like a lot, hence your overflowing.

Deluks said:
I can't help thinking it would have been better to connect the gutter into the soil pipe, rather than giving it a seperate downpipe, much neater.
Perhaps neater, but not legal or advisable.

Deluks said:
Perhaps neater, but not legal or advisable.

Point taken. Well black then at least.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for this answer.
I hope you do not mind me nagging with some more questions and answers.

Well for starters, a pipe should never eject straight onto a roof, so run a pipe down into the existing gutter and raise up that end so that the fall is correct, this will probably solve it.

Is it not much easier to just create a pipe at the end of the guttering? Changing the fall is more work, Yet, the material is cheap enough etc.. Also: I wold need to add a pipe to the pipe ending on the roof anyway.

When running multiple outlets into a single downpipe it's best to use a hopper so bear that in mind if adding any more guttering.

Is it accetable to just connect it to the pipe? Rather than ending it in a gutter/hopper?

I can't help thinkinyu g it would have been better to connect the gutter into the soil pipe, rather than giving it a seperate downpipe, much neater.

Further to the discussion on this point. Is it illegal to just add it to the sewer pipe? It does strike me as a simple solution.

Also what direction does the gutter on the main roof fall? If going from left to right then that downpipe on above the lean to will only be taking away water that falls in the small section of roof around the chimney stack, leaving the other central outlet to deal with all the rest, which looks like a lot, hence your overflowing.

The gutter on the main roof. All neighbouring semis have just on pipe at each end (i.e. one at the our side, one at the neighbours). The current pipe was inserted, because the gutteing had started overflowing. Possible causes: neighbours guttering had started pulling it down.

Simple question: Is there anything against running a new pipe down? I'd rather keep it like this, with good piping.

Thanks again for your help.

Basically, yes you could add a new outlet at the leaking end, going down and joining onto the left downpipe with a Y branch. There are byelaws about mixing wastewater and rainwater, you see lots of it on older properties but you shouldn't do it unless you have specific permission from local water authority.

Basically, yes you could add a new outlet at the leaking end, going down and joining onto the left downpipe with a Y branch. There are byelaws about mixing wastewater and rainwater, you see lots of it on older properties but you shouldn't do it unless you have specific permission from local water authority.

Thank you very much Deluks.

Thanks for your help (all of you).

The result is working fine.

The A connection to the top will be conncted later (actually, the pipes already fit. Fixing the pipes to the wall will be done later (a non-opening window will be replaced. Leaning out & drilling a couple of holes will be a lot easier than putting scaffoldings up etc.).

So, here is the result. No more noise from overflowing gutering, no more leaks in heavy rain etc.

eff0tBys-ONmvje1XekWMUWq5gquGXwDuOI1v4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

eff0tBys-ONmvje1XekWMUWq5gf1328Q3Mc7v4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

eff0tBys-ONmvje1XekWMUWq5u5e8suhXtdAv4xQp5Fd3Ig=_l.jpg

Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back