What is the point of renewing your driving licence?

You must renew a photocard licence every 10 years - you’ll receive a reminder before your current licence ends.

I don't believe they send out reminders though. Or if they do then loads of people must be ignoring the reminders

according to freddiemercurystwin (in his link to the AA

According to the AA no one has ever been fined for not renewing and there are 2million out of date licence holders out there

It's nothing but a money making scam by the government. £14 to renew something every ten years, that's actually valid until your 70th birthday.

Sponsored Links
I still have the old green and pink licence and intend to keep it for as long as possible. It's held together with sellotape.
Oh dear, you do leave yourself open, don't you?

RNR will be along later and write half a page claiming that mentioning colours is a sure sign of a racist ...

... and as for users of sellotape for such purposes - well!

I still have the old green and pink licence and intend to keep it for as long as possible. It's held together with sellotape.

RNR will be along later and write half a page claiming that mentioning colours is a sure sign of a racist ...

He is missing in France at the moment. :?: :?: :?:

There are 2 expiry dates related to your driving record:

1 - Expiry date of your photo licence which needs to be updated every 10 years. On updating the photo at aged 70, the driver is exempt from further photo renewals.
2. - Expiry date of driving entitlement. This is generally at aged 70 for ordinary driving (car and motorcycle) or earlier for medical and VOC licences.

Old paper licences (ie pre photo licences) are still valid if the driver is still living at the registered address.

Renewal reminders are sent out to the registered home address, which is why it is important to update it when moving home.

Sponsored Links

He is missing in France at the moment. :?: :?: :?:

Surely only a coincidence with the shootings today?

An idea for "improvement" at Civil Service level, methinks -

A contradiction in terms surely?

Renewal of the license would assist in ensuring that those with fresh points or disqualification would be exposed.

I'm still with the old paper license.

I would advise anyone holding a paper licence to check their driving entitlements online.

The old licence records entitlement GROUPS and due to EU rules, the new photocard licence records entitlement CATEGORIES.

A Group A (car) was changed to Category B, and Group D (motorbike) was changed to Category A.

So anyone changing to a photocard lic could see the letter 'A' and mistakenly think they are entitled to drive a car.

2. - Expiry date of driving entitlement. This is generally at aged 70 for ordinary driving (car and motorcycle) or earlier for medical and VOC licences.

:cry: Mine expired 3/12/13. Although I have not driven since March 2012...

Soon be 3 years.:cry:

Sponsored Links
Back