What is the secret - Cutting tiles at 45 degrees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tiles are 320 x 80 floor-tiles. I have a few (probably over 100, to cut at 45 degrees.

They do not fit in my tile cutter.

Managed to break one over a match but it did not follow the score.

Any tips or do I need to resort to a disc cutter?

Sponsored Links
I bought a £15 heavy duty manual tile cutter from B&Q the other day. Used it twice, gave up, cleaned it, returned it and bought a £30 disk cutter (Performance Power I think). Its great for cutting L shaped tiles, it has a tilting table for 45 degree corner cuts. It would be ideal for cutting tiles at angles (can remove tiny amounts with no difficulty). As well as being useful for nibbling away if your careful.

I would suggest that, if you don't live in a sardine can, and can afford it, buy a disk cutter. You wont regret it.

Word of advice though, make sure the splash guard is down, or you get a face full of white, tile dust filled water :(.

Sam.

If you have lots of tiles to cut, go & hire a tile cutter.
Messy, but so easy

Sponsored Links
How much is it to hire one?

Given that the cost as little as £30 & may well last for more jobs later, then there is not much point hiring one :D

It is not a bevel on the edge I need.

The tiles are to be cut at 45 degrees to the tile edge rather than straight across.

I have 2 score and break cutters so I can score them but not break them along the score.

Hire a wet tile cutter, phone your local shop, be prepared to haggle, or see if you can get a weekend hire for a day rate.

I have 2 "score and break" cutters and even the larger one will score but not allow me to break the tile.

I have to fill in around the edges of this.

Looks like a disc cutter and a few days cutting tiles . . . . . . .

The £30 jobby from B&Q will do bevels and cut the tiles at any angle to put them through at.

Oh, use the tile cutting wheel outside, less mess to clear up inside :D

Got the £30 job from B&Q. Cuts a lot faster than I thought it would.

Still looks like a couple of days cutting tiles.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back