What is the source of my damp?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I moved into my bungalow I noticed 20 air bricks , 5 on each side, the old owners left the carpet in place and I noticed black areas where furniture had been which I thought was odd, since I have installed laminate flooring, we have noticed item stored under the bed go mouldy and when we enter the building having been away for a few days a musky smell, the building already had cwi so I called the firm back and they arrived with testing apparatus and found no major issues but did pump a little more into one area, our neighbour has a very large tree that shades our property 1/2 of the day, I’m convinced that damp air is circulating though the air bricks and damp air is raising through floor boards, has anyone got any advise, many thanks

Sponsored Links
Look at your walls until you find the damp course. How far above ground level is it?

Post photos of the damp

Post photos of the outside walls, right up to the gutters and down to the paving. Show all downpipes and drains. Indicate damp areas and show the DPC

You don't drape wet washing inside the house, do you?

"Damp air" won't/ can't be rising from the floor void.

Black mould on the walls, especially behind furniture is condensation issue within the rooms, and that will relate to how you are using, ventilating and heating the property.

Whilst insulation is part of the equation, insulating walls does not automatically mean that wall condensation will cease, in fact it may increase if there is inadequate ventilation or heating.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back