damp smell in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my bathroom (downstairs always smells damp when the weather is wet or damp it is an original floorboard floor with a cavity under the bungalow i have checked the air bricks outside and keep them clear.
any help please

Sponsored Links
Do you have an extractor in the bathroom?
Do you have a window and do you leave it permanently shut?
Do you have a shower?
How extensive is the wall tiling?
What material is covering the floor?
Is the outside wall rendered?

thanks for your reply
i dont have a shower
nor extractor
tiles are floor to ceiling
and i have carpet on the floor
the outside wall is not rendered

i only have a top window which i leave on vent most of the time, window is not open too often as i have indoor cats that would get out i do open the window after a bath til the steam has gone but not always.

Sponsored Links
The first, and probably most important fix would be to install an extractor in-line fan (motor in the ceiling) with a run on timer thats connected to the light switch or pull switch. It will extract thro the eaves or roof.

Search on here with "bathroom extractor" - good quality fans are expensive £150 -£180 plus installation to Part-P. The electrical forum on here could advise.

Your carpet is possibly damp - lift it and examine.

Its possible that the oversite is damp soil but you would have to crawl below the floor to check.

I'm surprised that you dont complain of mold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back