What is this? And is it structural / supporting in any way?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

I've had a search around the forum, but I haven't found anything that answers what this is, and whether it is structural or supporting? The bit I'm referring to is the lintel abutting the ceiling, between the walls of the hallway, with corbels underneath. I've linked to some images on google for reference:

imgres

imgres

I'm about to renovate my hallway, including:

1. Take down the ceiling and replace (keeping and restoring the plaster flower ornaments where possible)
2. Replace the corbels, as they've been painted over many times and look crap
3. Inserting downlights into the hallway ceiling
4. Either take off lime plaster and replace with boards and re-plaser, or skim the lime plaster (if it can be done in a way that looks good)
5. Changing the doors and architraves
6. Replacing the skirting boards
7. Re-tiling the floor

I have one of these in our hallway, before I start work, I'd like to know what the beam/lintel does, and if the corbels are supporting in any way.

Cheers for any info/advice.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-01-07 at 22.54.37.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-07 at 22.54.37.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 214
  • Screenshot 2020-01-07 at 22.54.49.png
    Screenshot 2020-01-07 at 22.54.49.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 222
Sponsored Links
My old house is very similar design, there that beam is supporting the half brick wall between main bedroom and airing cupboard.
Corbels are probably decorative, beam is loadbearing (at my place & probably yours as well)

I have one too.

I have a spine wall between my rooms front and back that supports the floor joists running front to back. The spine wall is broken by the landing, so this beam is doing the job of shortening the floor joist spans.

Sponsored Links
the corbels can be stripped in situ far easier than replacing them.

I'm intrigued as to why you'd take off the lime plaster - if you do skim, I'd suggest skim with lime plaster.

I have a lintel under the first floor at the end of the hall in my house as well :ROFLMAO:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back