What is this box? Something to do with telephone, cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've just started redecorating a room in my new house and have come across this box on the wall, above the skirting board.

I think it's to do with a telephone wire but does anyone know exactly what it is?

It has two red "buttons" on the right hand side and a key that fits in the front of the unit.

It has a small current running through it, so I think it is safe to remove but I'm keen to know what it might be.

Thanks

Attachments

• 20230228_142114.jpg
    20230228_142114.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 115
Sponsored Links
It's a panic button, and in that position, probably located for a fall.
Thanks RandomGrinch.....I wouldn't have guessed that in a million years!

I suppose they are usually linked to the main house alarm?

Looking at the loose wiring, do you know if this unit is still live and active?

I suppose they are usually linked to the main house alarm?
Others may have a better idea, but I believe they could be connected to the alarm, a sounder, or a separate auto-dialler.
Looking at the loose wiring, do you know if this unit is still live and active?
The wired connections in the box are enough to keep the unit active.
Whether it is or not, is another matter.

...it may pay to follow the cable and see where it leads! :)

Sponsored Links
One of my first jobs was in a foreign exchange bureau. All the tills had these located on the front of each counter and they were indeed panic buttons. Never had to press it but a former colleague did and they linked to the police.

Others may have a better idea, but I believe they could be connected to the alarm, a sounder, or a separate auto-dialler.

The wired connections in the box are enough to keep the unit active.
Whether it is or not, is another matter.

...it may pay to follow the cable and see where it leads! :)
Thanks RG.

The cable disappears behind the wall on the landing, so it may take a bit of time/luck to track down where it leads to.....:confused:

Do you have an intruder alarm? If so it is very likely that the panic button is connected to that. If the alarm is serviced the alarm company will have a record of which devices are connected.

You need to find out. A multimeter will cost you around £10 and upwards.
...or press the panic button ( or disconnect the tamper) and see if an alarm goes off, or the emergency services come running!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back