What is this hinge called?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hello

I was hoping that someone could tell me the name of the hinge in the image below. I have googled, but haven't been able to find an answer.

I need to adjust it because the door is scraping the floor, but I am not familiar with these hinges and can't look it up without a name.

I would be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

Many thanks
20200521_195537.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/3kJ6f23?desktop=1

Sponsored Links
Thank you, I think you've got it. :D

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I adjust these? Just lift off the door and tighten the screw?

I'm not sure why these were used, doesn't seem necessary really.

Thanks again

I don't think I've seen that particular design before, it may be continental. I thought at first they were pin hinges.

Stand back and take a photo of the entire door please so we can see how it is made. It may be sagging.p

Does it rub the floor all along, or just at the lock side?

With a lift off hinge, you can make a temporary bodge by lifting it off and slipping a few washers over the pin before you put it back.

Look at the top edge of the door, and photograph any markings or labels.

Sponsored Links
I don't think I've seen that particular design before, it may be continental. I thought at first they were pin hinges.

Stand back and take a photo of the entire door please so we can see how it is made. It may be sagging.p

Does it rub the floor all along, or just at the lock side?

With a lift off hinge, you can make a temporary bodge by lifting it off and slipping a few washers over the pin before you put it back.

Look at the top edge of the door, and photograph any markings or labels.

Thanks for your reply. It is only rubbing along the lock side and is definitely sagging.

The hinges are smooth, and there are no visible screws.

As you can see in the pic, it is in a cabin. As the walls have settled, the doors have moved with them. The washers might work or something similar

Attachments

• 2020-05-22 17.10.50.jpg
    2020-05-22 17.10.50.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 193
I have seen those types of hinges on Belgian cabin log doors. I call them barrel hinges- not sure what the official name is.

The following might help

http://www.ellwoodglos.co.uk/door-hinge-adjustment-guide/

https://www.hortonsgroup.com/how-to-adjust-log-cabin-doors

Tha is for your reply. It is in a cabin alright and all the internal doors are having the same problem. The wood of the cabin has moved and settled a bit since it was built and the doors have too.

Unfortunately, my hinges can't be adjusted like the ones in your links, but I appreciate you taking the time to post them

looking at the photo of your door, I can't see the top edge and bottom edge to see if they have gone trapezoid. Ths often happens with some kinds of door due to gravity.

my garden gate has done that, despite my attempts with braces, glued tenons and additional screws. I have now decided to hang it upside down for a bit and see if it reshapes the other way. If so, I'll add an extra metal brace from corner to corner before re-hanging it.

have a look and see if you can spot it.

Out of square (exaggerated)
in your case the uprights will be vertical but the head and foot may have sagged down on the side away from the hinge.

800px-Parallelogram.svg.png

As JohnD says, the door frame has moved out of square. In log cabins they are "floating" door frames, by that I mean that if they are fixed they just have a couple of screws through the architrave into the walls, rather than through the door liner into the walls. You might be able to push the top right of the frame in the photo to the left hand wall to square it up (assuming that you can find where any fixings are). The hinges themselves do need to be adjustable given that the frame can be adjusted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back