What is this in my garden?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After owning the property for 8 years, I recently found this sticking out of the lawn after cutting the grass.
20161002_163815_zpsk6qbo2wt.jpg

Don't want to dig it up yet in case it's an old water pipe, I know it's not gas as there are no pipes in the village.

Sponsored Links
No, just groundwater. I started digging around it and it is loose now so not connected to anything. There was however a copper mains water pipe behind it....

Sponsored Links
How have you not seen it before? Is it leaking and has washed away the surrounding soil ?

Just spotted something rusty after cutting the grass. Not leaking, just groundwater (3 days of heavy rain in wales). Could be concrete underneath as there might have been a old coal bunker underneath in the past.

loose now so not connected to anything.

Still be careful removing it in case you disturb some thing that was connected to it

There was however a copper mains water pipe behind it....

copper pipe in the ground. ? Are you sure it is mains water ?

No idea what the item is but you never know what you might find in your garden

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/heritage...r_raid_shelter_while_clearing_out_the_garden/

is one of dozens of examples.

20161003_083436_zpsjbtaqicw.jpg

The copper pipe behind the unknown object goes through the concrete path, out the other side and into my neighbours kitchen extension (same entry point as our mains water on our property) so I believe it is mains water.

The unknown object is loose and can be rotated 360° but something like concrete is holding it in.

Fairly mundane then, compared to the Belgian teenager who, since a child, had been told not to interfere with the 'manhole cover' in his grandparents garden. As he grew older his curiosity grew & until one day he decided to try to open it, which he did with great difficulty & found himself staring down into what transpired to be the turret of an abandoned WW2 German King Tiger tank! Scary stuff this, as when abandoned by their crews hatches were often booby-trapped with explosive devices.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back