What is this noise??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi All

We had a new cylinder fitted yesterday. A really loud noise started this morning when I ran a bath. The noise only stopped when we switched the boiler off at the wall.

Any ideas if this is normal? If not what the problem is? I have a video of the noise but can't work out how to upload :(

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
This is the new cylinder

Attachments

• IMG_2900.JPG
    IMG_2900.JPG
    200.3 KB · Views: 213
:eek::eek: Yup, your installer should have told you not to use that. It should never have been commissioned into the hot and cold and it's heat source enabled without its safety devices connected!! :eek::eek:

Can't see how it's was working though with the cold water turned off and the expansion open?? is that picture as it is at the moment?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Hello. Sorry that was a pic taken during installation. I just wanted to show the type of cylinder. Will try and upload the video of it now

The circulating pump also feeds the primary HW circuit too (sends HW through the cylinder to heat it up), don't use the boiler - just use the electrical immersion heater just now just for hot water and get the installers back in ASAP!!

That sounds mechanical so something to do with the pump possibly, whether it's been run dry or it's not been bled. At the right hand side in behind the cylinder is the circulator pump (red/black body), put your hand on the body, is it really hot and vibrating/rumbling?

That sounds mechanical so something to do with the pump possibly, whether it's been run dry or it's not been bled. At the right hand side in behind the cylinder is the circulator pump (red/black body), put your hand on the body, is it really hot and vibrating/rumbling?

Perhaps one of the valves either side of the pump is shut?

It sounds a lot like this.

Or even this (play from 52 secs ish).

Last edited:
try undoing the screw on front of the pump to let some water out with everything turned of for now . but your pump sounds fooked :)

....but your pump sounds fooked :)

I agree - judging by the appalling noises its making, the pump needs replacing ASAP.

I think the existing pump is a fire risk so I'd shut the boiler down immediately (off at boiler itself and MCB/RCD off at fusebox) and I wouldn't fire it up again until a new pump is in place. I'd also replace the two gate valves either side of the pump and (while you're at it) fit as new motorised valve.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back