What Is This Stuff?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know what this coating is? It's on a chalet bungalow, circa 1970, and the walls are rendered breeze block. The render's all solid, but areas where the paint is bubbling up have this failing coating under the paint. It's about 4mm thick.

Attachments

• DSCF7187.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 159
  • DSCF7189.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 156
  • DSCF7188.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 153
Sponsored Links
Yes, I think you may be right! Thanks. So can I fill the voids with Tetrion prior to painting?

Sponsored Links
OP,

You need a professional renderer on site to give an opinion on your total installation.

I suspect that none of the coatings have taken properly because the background was not correctly prepared.

And if the final coating is a plastic paint then it has the possibility of causing internal and external difficulties.

Dont fool around with Tetrion or similar.

Yes, that's what I should do, but I'll probably just go for the Tetrion or similar and then Sandtex it all.

Fair enough but what about loose or peeling material near the eaves, and what if you discover that there are possibly 20 to 30 patches required around the house?

Ah yes, I see what you mean! A good downpour overnight has revealed quite a few bubbles, there's clearly a route behind a lot of this Tyrolean. So much for a quick fungicide and paint job! It's only on one wall though, which happens to be the most exposed. I can see I'm going to have to get it off and redo it. I might do the lot myself, I've never used a Tyrolean spreader before, should be good for the arm muscles.

Its not Tyrolean but thats irrelevant. You will have to remove all coatings back to the block.

I told you above that the prep was lacking - the same prepping is presumably
on all 4 walls?

Call a professional, pay him or her for their time and get a considered opinion of the whole chalet.

The plastic paint thats been used is presumably over the whole 4 walls - it will cause interior difficulties.

I don't think it is plastic paint. Like I say, the other walls seem fine. I'll probably just paint them.

Do you understand what i mean by the term plastic paint? eg. oil paints are plastic paints.

It's probably a paint called "Tartaruga" which was an outside paint that was used around the middle to end of the 80's. As for the sub base, who knows?

I'm pretty sure the paint is just standard masonry paint, perhaps two or three layers thick. It's worth noting that the grooved texture is not a characteristic of the paint, but of the 4mmish decorative coating on top of the render. I reckon it's Alpine Finish as I've said, which is laid on about 4mm thick, is cement based and contains an aggregate. It was apparently popular in the 70s, and still is in parts of mainland Europe. As I understand it, after trowelling it on and when it firms up a bit, a wooden float is rubbed across it either vertically or horizontally (the latter in this case). This drags the aggregate across the coating which then scores the texture into it. After which it gets painted.

Well if your sure ,as you have answered your own question that you started with...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back