What kind of damp is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I live in an end terrace house. We have these damp patches in the back bedroom upstairs mainly on the gable end wall. We had the roof replaced around 2 years ago thinking that was the problem but it hasn't solved it. We are planning to have the gable end painted with a silicone breathable paint in the summer as the render is completely intact but may be porous. The patches aren't only at ceiling level but also in seemingly random places mid-wall and above the skirting board. They're also on the ceiling in some places. As you can see I've drawn around the patches and dated the lines for reference. We can't find the source of the moisture in the attic. Do you lovely people think this is simply condensation or water ingress? Fyi the last image shows the top corner next to the window but it is actually the bottom of a sloped ceiling so not at attic floor level. I've cleaned away any mould that appears as we've had both black and white mould and that fluffy stuff from salt in the walls. Any advice on the best way to tackle this would be appreciated as I'm just keen to get this sorted now! Thanks.
20240219_130126.jpg
20240217_211306.jpg
20240217_211344.jpg
20240217_231347.jpg
20240205_113823.jpg

Attachments

• 20240205_113823.jpg
    20240205_113823.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 18
Sponsored Links
Render will be preventing any moisture getting out , if the roof was the problem you could be looking at many months or more for everything to dry out thru internal walls .

The render has been on there for decades but its still in great nick. We're gonna have to remove the plasterboard from the affected areas anyway so hopefully that would help the drying out process. It's no trouble to leave it open for as long as it takes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back