What kind of paint is best onto marble?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The missus has taken against the marble hearth and fire surround that came with the house. I suspect that the cheapest way of placating her is to paint over it. What kind of paint would be most hardwearing, heatproof and leave a nice finish? Or is this all a bad plan?

TIA.

Sponsored Links
Hmmm I think it might look a bit cheap if you paint it but hey, it's your show. Tile paint (applied with a gloss roller) would probably be ok. Not sure about the heat though - does it really get that hot? Is the area hot to the touch when the fire is on?
Gcol

gcol said:
Not sure about the heat though - does it really get that hot? Is the area hot to the touch when the fire is on?
Gcol

Not untouchably so. Thanks for the advice and the warning re cheapness, at least I know what paint I need if we decide to go for the ***** option.

Sponsored Links
Fat_Bloke said:
gcol said:
Not sure about the heat though - does it really get that hot? Is the area hot to the touch when the fire is on?
Gcol

Not untouchably so. Thanks for the advice and the warning re cheapness, at least I know what paint I need if we decide to go for the ***** option.

:LOL:

I would give it a good wash down first...then a rub over with wet an dry paper then as Gcol says a couple of coats of tile paint...or seeing as they dont make tile paint in many colours...a coat of tile paint followed by oil based eggshell.......or a coat of ultra grip primer and then paint with whatever you want...or whatever you like..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back