what kind of wood is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there all,

We are adding some new woodwork to an original Victorian kitchen and I need to try to identify the original wood. I think it might be red oak??

This photo shows it when I sanded it back before oiling it so shows the true colour. The dust was a kind of reddish grey in colour.

I'd also like to know where I can buy some more of this!

Thanks in advance!

View media item 53134

Sponsored Links
From what I can see of the leg. Yellow pine maybe.

Sponsored Links
Larch? Can be quite red and would explain the paler sapwood or what looks like it. What did it smell like when it was sanded? Larch has a sharper smell than normal pine IIRC.

Hi there all,

We are adding some new woodwork to an original Victorian kitchen and I need to try to identify the original wood. I think it might be red oak??

This photo shows it when I sanded it back before oiling it so shows the true colour. The dust was a kind of reddish grey in colour.

I'd also like to know where I can buy some more of this!

Thanks in advance!

View media item 53134

You need to send a pic taken at 90deg from surface or were all wasting our time guessing from this angle it could be anything from baltic pine to afromosia

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back