Non darkening varnish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have light oak rails and posts on my staircase. These were originally finished with some sort of satin varnish which seems to have kept the wood fairly light in colour, which I like. Recently, a couple of areas suffered some damage but I have been able to carefully sand this out. Unfortunately, I have had to sand through the original varnish into the wood. Checking with white spirit shows that these areas are going to become too dark with a conventional varnish and will stand out and look odd.
Sanding everything back to bare wood is not an option at the moment. These areas will take a small amount of darkening as there is a slight shade difference between the old finish and the bare wood. What would be the best choice of treatment to minimise the amount of darkening of the wood? Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back