Refinishing 'shiny' pine furniture?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, some advice needed please :)

I bought a solid pine bed v cheaply second hand, in the process of refinishing it for ourt little boy. It was originally 'orange pine' with a v high shine varnish finish, I want to partially repaint in cream but leave the upright posts in bare wood. I've sanded it down, not enough to remove all the varnish just to key it up, and am priming the bits to paint. My question is about the posts which I plan to have as bare wood. They were super glossy, so I managed to reduce the shine just by gently abrading with a sanding block, worked quite well (although there are some scratch marks visible in places which I guess means I need to go over with a finer sanding block?)

I'm unsure how to treat the wood parts. I like wax finish but as there's still some varnish on, I assume his won't work? Do I need to just revarnish in satin/matt varnish, or is there a product that will enhance the colour and finish a bit that will work on an already varnished surface? Thanks v much :)

Sponsored Links
just be aware if you add a coloured varnish it will be what you have now but darker
in other words its another level off cover on the wood and you will never lighten it and still see the natural grain

Sponsored Links
just be aware if you add a coloured varnish it will be what you have now but darker
in other words its another level off cover on the wood and you will never lighten it and still see the natural grain
Hmm, ok...might get a really might coloured one then just to even things out but not add too much darkness? Or do I have any other options? It's currently quite a nice hue now the shine has been taken off a bit :) Would just polishing do anything?! Thanks for your reply

Sounds like you just want to add some regular satin varnish. Paint/varnish is the only option on top of existing varnish.

As an alternative you could use some wire wool on the existing varnish and see if you can get an even finish you like?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back