What loft ladder to use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening folks,

I have a vaulted ceiling in the house and a bathroom of normal height with exposed ceiling. Above the ceiling of the bathroom has been boarded and used for storage.
The existing owners simply get a small ladder when they need something from up there.

I will need frequent access to it and this would a) be a PIA and b) ruin the carpet as ladder lives in the shed.

What loft ladder should I get which would lay flat on the ceiling and can slide over and down to land on the floor.

Now sure I am explaining that properly? :)

Put simply - I have a box, I want a ladder to lay on top of the box until I want to climb up said box :)

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I think, you may be thinking about a sliding loft ladder! :)

https://www.ladderstore.com/loft-ladder-range/loft-ladders-by-type/sliding

The problem is, they are usually visible and set forward in the loft hatch, to enable you to reach it and pull it down.
This might not be very visually appealing for you!

Could something like an easily storable, telescopic ladder be more suitable?

Or perhaps, something a little more permanent, that could also be a feature? :)

Compact-Stairs-Modern-Alternating-Treads-1-468x704.jpg

Last edited:
I chuckled when I saw your reply. My brain took me back to the photos of the house - Here is a snip of one :)

upload_2021-11-13_21-2-42.png

That's been their solution all along. Makes sense now :)

Your point on seeing the ladder is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I might stick with the basic solution.

You should be able to canabalise any folding loft ladder, does it need to fold? Simplest would be just a straight length of ladder you can pull out, or the same with a fold if that would be too long.

I made something for my heating cupboard which is above the stairwell:

IMG_20211115_091056178.jpg

IMG_20211115_091144685.jpg

IMG_20211115_091158569.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back