What makes an excellent external render job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all..

I have a 1930s house which we bought a couple of years back. Somewhere along the line, a previous owner has decided to cover all external walls in awful pebble rough render, which has then been painted over. I hate it and want to smooth render over. There look to be some areas where the old is falling off, but the majority feels sound.

When I get my builder in to quote on a total new render layer, what points should I look out for to ensure it will stand the test of time?

Only aspects I already have noted down are:

- remove all old loose render first (obviously)
- install bell drips above dpc

Should I ensure he quotes any specific render or additives?
How should he prep the old painted surface?
Should he be using specific layers of different render?
Should window ledges be treated differently?
Etc..

My builder is fully competent, so no concerns he may not know what he's doing, but I want to get down in writing what he needs to do and what I'm paying for. Plus I want to learn myself on what makes a good external render job..

Thanks..

Sponsored Links
just use monocouche render looks loads better and never have to paint it we have been plastering rendering now for the past 9 years and cover london if you need advice materials or putting on to a good spread?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back