What material for false ceiling?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am creating a false ceiling above my basement home cinema and am going to have a black ceiling with fibroptic stars poking through.

I was planning to use 12 or 18mm MDF, but I wonder if there are any other materials I should consider? Perhaps some modern material that I might not have come across? (Fermacell?)

The material should be as light as possible, but strong (so it does not sag, albeit I will affix a frame above each sheet to support it) and very square (so I can butt up multiple sheets without gaps).

The material will be flocked which is where they spray it with glue, then fire tiny black fibres onto it to (see flocking.co.uk for details) - it creates a very matt black finish, perfect for my sky-at-night look. The flocking people say they can flock pretty much anything.

Looking forward to your advice!

Paul.

Sponsored Links
Paul
Sounds great, I’m a bit of an A/V nut myself; do you have a “Serious” A/V system? How much space will be above the false ceiling? I’m only an amateur but if you have a basement/cellar you have the perfect opportunity to create the perfect sound environment for some serious A/V!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back