What material for huge wall gaps.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everybody.

I'm in the middle of my bathroom refurbishment. What do you suggest I should use to fill the gap between wall and plaster board ( wooden frame ) and what to use to fill big holes in the wall as well? I've tried to look up in the Goolge but couldn't find answer, please help.

Thank you.

Best regards, Piotr.[/img]

Sponsored Links
Not much thought has gone into that job the wall blocks/bricks should have been cut straight then you wouldent be left with big gaps, how thick is the render? Can you chop it back by a couple of inches then swap present plasterboard for longer piece of plasterboard?and have the plasterboard sit on the brick flush with the render stuck on with bit of addy? Other than that take stud down and straighten edge of wall, filling that gap as it is will only result in cracking

Hi.

Thanks for advice. It's a little bit embarrassing as I did it my self :oops:. Anyway I thought I could use cement bounding or something to close that gap without cracks. The wooden frame is no bigger than blocks and plasterboard is about 3mm deeper than the plaster on the wall. I was thinking to cut edges of the wall straight but mess would be massive ( using angle grinder) so I've abandon this idea.

Sponsored Links
Dont go angle grinding anything.

As above, you can come back from the gap/join and hack off the plaster to brick, and the fix a new piece of P/B spanning the gap to land on a stud.

But first, you should sort out how the room is going to be finished, esp where the walls meet the ceiling. Where the airing cupboard (?) framing has been removed will have to be brought out on the walls and dropped down a little on the cupboard ceiling.

All plaster board edges must land on joists or studs. Stud framing must have a bottom plate and a top plate, and be firmly fixed for units to hang off it.

If you are interested, come back here & i'll take you thro how to do a refurbished ceiling esp where it meets the walls?

FWIW: all the plumbing, gas apps, elec. and extractors must be sorted before going further.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back