Filling large gap between wall and fireboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I've an integral garage with a bedroom above, and I've just boarded the ceiling of the garage with 2 overlapped layers of Gtec fireboard.

I'm after a little advice on filling gaps between the fireboard and the wall to create the best firestop I can.

For most of the perimeter the gap between the wall and the boards is < 5mm and I was intending on filling this with intumescent sealant. However on one side the wall isn't straight (where the boarding meets a steel beam which is already rendered over with plaster) - the gap goes from a few mm at one end to about an inch at the other.

I'm looking for advice on how to make fill this and maintain the firestop.

I've a couple of ideas; fill the gap with plaster or cut strips of the fireboard and put a "frame" round the edges of the wall.

Can anyone advise on a good way to go about this?

Sponsored Links
I did see a can of that at the local merchants, messy stuff though.

There must be a better way.

Sponsored Links
Not really, squirt a load up there, trim off when dry, skim ceiling. Or even cut very thin slivers of board along that edge. But I’d say the foams the easier of the two.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back