filling a gap between the door frame and new plaster

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

i've just had my bedroom skimmed but the plasterer has not filled the gap between the outside edge of door frame and the exterior wall. This gap is between 10mm at the top and 3mm at the bottom. the origional plaster in this gap is really cracked and i have removed the majority of the loose plaster chunks.

am i right in thinking i need to fill this gap with caulk? i've not used this before so any tips on how to use it and which one to buy would be good

thanks

M

Sponsored Links
but this an old house and i don't want to have to take the archatraves off to plaster underneat.

What's more the plaster isn't coming back so this isn't really an option

So the gap is between the back of the archtrave and the plaster wall behind it, leaving a visible gap.
If that's true you need to fill it out with filler then sand it down, if needs be. 10mm is a bit much for one application of deco caulk.

Sponsored Links
the gap is really between the edge of the architraiv and the wall since the door frame doesn't meet the perpendicular wall

you should have taken the architraves off to give your plasterer access!

he should have told you this.

the gap is really between the edge of the architraiv and the wall since the door frame doesn't meet the perpendicular wall
You need to fill it then, I think it's the only logical option.
unless you remove them and finish the job flush, they should have really come off prior to plastering.
But sometimes it's difficult with old materials, as they like to break when you least want it :mad:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back