What material - soffits 1930's house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello 1930s house assume with newer roof, not sure on this. Any idea what these soffits are made of ? Plastic looking at clips, hoping not asbestos ? Any ideas ? Thanks askin as want a fan fitted and to extract though soffit, if not it's a big ass drill or tile vent I assume. Cheers

Attachments

• PXL_20230119_163507098.jpg
    PXL_20230119_163507098.jpg
    337.6 KB · Views: 100
  • PXL_20230119_163513378.jpg
    PXL_20230119_163513378.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 78
Sponsored Links
Oops cheers. I suppose that could be covering the original wood. :)

@welsh I am in the same situation as you, wana to put a vent for a fan on soffits, what was the soffits made of for you? Did you manage to fit in the vent?

Sponsored Links
As @Mottie , definitely uPVC, clean up a patch and you will see the shine.
Oops cheers. I suppose that could be covering the original wood. :)
Or asbestos! If you can peep into the soffits from the loft, you will get a better idea.

Edit. Oh dear, just realised this was a resurrected post! :(

Does anyone know if I can fit the vent to the soffit from the loft rather than going in the middle of the air on a ladder?

Does anyone know if I can fit the vent to the soffit from the loft rather than going in the middle of the air on a ladder?
Yes, its possible, if you can fit a right angle drill and hole saw comfortably into the eaves.
However, as the uPVC soffits may only be attached by a couple of nails to the wood, cutting through this from above could lead to an untidy hole.

The vent cover can even be fitted from above, just throw some string down through the hole, and pull it up from inside! :)

Yes, its possible, if you can fit a right angle drill and hole saw comfortably into the eaves.
However, as the uPVC soffits may only be attached by a couple of nails to the wood, cutting through this from above could lead to an untidy hole.

The vent cover can even be fitted from above, just throw some string down through the hole, and pull it up from inside! :)
Thanks a lot for the directions. I thought of using an angled drill with a hole saw. but, using the string to bring up the vent was clever, cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back