What material to fill large gap in corner of cupboard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will shortly be having a new boiler installed in this cupboard. Before this, though, I would like to tidy up the considerable gap that runs pretty much from top to bottom - at the lower section you can see the exposed lathes. Would I be able to apply some expanding foam into this gap or is it better to use a bag of readymix? Obviously because the cupboard will house the boiler it does not have to be done to a particularly high standard but I would at least like to put a coat of paint over the finished surface.

Thanks for any advice.

IMG_5339.JPG IMG_5340.JPG IMG_5342.JPG

Sponsored Links
Have a look at Thistle one coat plaster (wickes about a tenner) as it'll fill to a depth of 2" in one go, and polish off to a reasonable plaster finish.

If you use one coat plaster I would damp each side of the gap and possibly mesh it or it could pull away leaving you with a smaller crack. You could also pva it to reduce suction.
litl

Thanks very for the comments, guys. I'll try to get some one-coat plaster as I am not far from a Wickes. A mesh fixing sounds like a good idea. Would you completely disregard using expanding foam for this type of job, though? It has occurred to me that I could use the foam behind the mesh to reduce any draft etc. Accept that it might be totally inappropriate, though.

Sponsored Links
As the one coat plaster should cover the holes, then the foam shouldn't be needed, and as long as you've got a stiffish mix, and you've PVA'd the sides so that it cuts down the suction, then you should be fine. You'd normally use the mesh across a crack, and then plaster over it, but unless you're then plastering around the corner, the mesh on that side wouldn't be secured.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back