What mix of concrete should I use?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to make a cavity floor repair due to the relocation of some pipework and am just wondering what would be the best mix to use? I have never concreted before so nothing is obvious to me! :) I was wondering if I would need to do anything special as I need it to bond with existing concrete,

Please see the picture here https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjnJhtmhYMJlhpZmWfHQBA4kbB8DGA

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
I guess its screed?

1part cement to 3parts sharp sand

Im not sure what prep is needed, it looks like a floating screed so it needs connecting well to the original or it will tend to break up.

Is that insulation underneath?

Thanks for replying!, Yes it is insulation, I have some new insulation to lay down first to line up to the existing, should I then put a bed of sharpsand down on top of the insulation first and then screed? I have heard of some formula you can paint on existing concrete to help the bond just need to find it! :)

Thanks for replying!, Yes it is insulation, I have some new insulation to lay down first to line up to the existing, should I then put a bed of sharpsand down on top of the insulation first and then screed? I have heard of some formula you can paint on existing concrete to help the bond just need to find it! :)

Usually PVA is used for something like that.

I did wonder whether some holes should be drilled and some rebar resin'd in as you are effectively forming a day joint.

Sponsored Links
Are you proposing to bury those push-fit pipe fittings in or under concrete ???

no, they are just temporary until I plumb the new towel rail

Thank you Notch, I will look into rebar :)

Im not sure if thsts the best dolution, but screed on top of insulation is not too bad if it is 1 complete slab, once cut, you have a few weaker bits of screed sitting on the insulation and day joints could work apart.

Im sure a builder on this forum will be along to advise a practical solution......

I was wondering about strength.. should I have posted this in the building section?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back