What music you listening too

Sponsored Links
Ah Russ Conway, the worlds best dressed Pub Pianist
Who managed to chalk up over 30 million record sales,some pub pianist.

Just cos you sell a lot, doesnt mean your any good. Look at Westlife and the Sugarbabes. Even Terry Wogan managed a number 1.

Technically, Russ Conway was a cut down stride pianist, as most pub pianists were. Watch his left hand, it does a sort of omp - pha all the time. His right hand plays block chords but with no fancy harmonies. Its not very inventive. Watch him, then look at the clip by Willy the Lion, its the same technique, except Willy's execution is technically far superior and inventive, and his harmonic constructions brilliant.

Russ Conway sold millions but to the blue rinse brigade of the 60's, old dears who, as the saying goes in musicians circles, would applaud the wallpaper, and the same brigade that would buy Liberaces stuff 20 years later, but he didnt contribute anything new to music.

Well i gave a figure for his sales to show that he was popular and sold a lot of records,so somebody must have thought he was good, any figure to show that the ones mentioned also sold a lot?

Ah links to jazz. Now I don't mind a bit of jazz although I admit to not knowing a lot about it but I've got friends who absolutely detest it and liken it to something worse than a roomfull of drunks trying to tune up.
I'll listen to almost anything, exceptions being opera , most rap and steel bands but a gripe I have is that listening to the radio we don't tend to have a wide enough choice. Nearly all popular music is singles based and album tracks are very rarely played and more interesting stuff is very often bunged away late at night.

Sponsored Links
Well i gave a figure for his sales to show that he was popular and sold a lot of records,so somebody must have thought he was good, any figure to show that the ones mentioned also sold a lot?

umm 'the ones mentioned' are all jazz legends, they all sold millions over decades and decades. However, there arent sale figures for people like Willy the Lion, because it was 1930, no such records were kept. The fact we still have recordings of them from 80 years ago indicates they were somethign special. Ask any music professor. or just do as i suggested, use your own ears and look at the difference in technical ability..

Just cos you sell a lot, doesnt mean your any good. Look at Westlife and the Sugarbabes. Even Terry Wogan managed a number 1
Jazz legends?

Just cos you sell a lot, doesnt mean your any good. Look at Westlife and the Sugarbabes. Even Terry Wogan managed a number 1
Jazz legends?

No, i was referring to Willy The Lion, Art Tatum, George Shearing, Duke Ellington, Dave Brubeck atc etc of whom i posted videos........

Would you like me to type slower so you can keep up ? :rolleyes:

OCS - Robin Hood from B sides, seaside and free rides top top tune

I'm mostly listening to:

Ying Tong Ying Tong Ying Tong Ying Tong Ying Tong Iddle I Po
Ying Tong Ying Tong Ying Tong Iddle I Po, Iddle I Poooooooo

Sponsored Links
Back