What nails should I use for floor boards?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pine, stripped, taken up for surround sound cabling, want to use new nails on the way back.

Cheers!

:)

Sponsored Links
bpowell555 said:
Pine, stripped, taken up for surround sound cabling, want to use new nails on the way back.

Cheers!

metal ones.

any nails will do, aslong as they hold it down

Don't use nails. Screws are far better.
1. If you ever want the boards up again its easier.
2. Screws never cause squeaky boards like nails do.

Trust me, its worth the extra effort.

Qedelec said:
Don't use nails. Screws are far better.
1. If you ever want the boards up again its easier.
2. Screws never cause squeaky boards like nails do.

Trust me, its worth the extra effort.

Yeah but they'll look totally different to all the others!

Otherwise I agree.

Sponsored Links
andy said:
bpowell555 said:

Cheers!

metal ones.

Is there a particular type like panel pins, clout, galvanised, ??

bpowell555 said:

This is not the right forum, but traditionally you would use a cut nail - rectangular in cross section - called a floor brad. Easily available from builder's merchants and DIY sheds.

Neal

bpowell555 said:
andy said:
bpowell555 said:

Cheers!

metal ones.

If you don't want to screw ;) but are worried about damaging any plastered ceilings below you (if say you're in a flat), then buy a nail gun and use that - hours of fun, plus you can use it to fire nails at melons, pumpkins etc in yer garden afterwards.

NealHarman said:
bpowell555 said:

This is not the right forum, but traditionally you would use a cut nail - rectangular in cross section - called a floor brad. Easily available from builder's merchants and DIY sheds.

Neal

Apologies this is not right forum - *sweats at prospect of immenent demise at hands of viscious moderators*

Floor brads! That's what I need to know, although the old nail gun sounds good as well :p

Apologies this is not right forum - *sweats at prospect of immenent demise at hands of viscious moderators*

Floor brads! That's what I need to know, although the old nail gun sounds good as well :p

I only meant that maybe you'd get a quicker/better answer in, say, this one
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=16

Be very careful with a nail gun serious enough for floorboard-sized nails (but then be careful with a hammer too...)

Neal

PS I'd use screws on old boards that cannot be seen (much).

Cheers, looking at the boards going down last night some could have screws and it would make life easier if they have to come up again...

I'll save the nail gun for another day ;)

ps. oops hadn't noticed the floors forum...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back