What Non-contact Voltage Detector is recommended?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm replacing some ceiling pendants and need a non-contact voltage detector for added peace of mind.

What do people recommend? Prices seem to vary from £5 to £25.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I would always recommend a two pole/probe voltage indicator with a proving unit, for safe isolation purposes.
If I was pushed for the use of a voltage stick, to determine live conductors, I would chose a Fluke LVD2 Voltage Detector.

Hi,

I'm replacing some ceiling pendants and need a non-contact voltage detector for added peace of mind.

What do people recommend? Prices seem to vary from £5 to £25.

Cheers.

If you think a non-contact detector is sufficient to give you peace of mind, you need to reconsider doing electrical work..

You cannot rely on these devices. Use a two pole tester and test all conductors to each other and earth, or you cannot be sure.

A non-contact voltage detector will only tell you if is probably live; it will not tell you if it is definitely dead.

You won't get any added peace of mind from it.

Sponsored Links
Use an approved tester and test to earth.
It's the only way.

Use a Fluke as a back up if you like and use it to test for live only NEVER as a test for dead

If you turn off the main isolator, then you can't check that your tester will work on touching a live conductor.

The check should be:
1) check the tester's working with a live point
2) test the work to check that it's not live
3) check the tester's still working with a live.
4) only now can you conclude that the work is dead.

If you turn off the main isolator, then you can't check that your tester will work on touching a live conductor.
You can using a proving unit
The check should be:
1) check the tester's working with a live point
2) test the work to check that it's not live
3) check the tester's still working with a live.
4) only now can you conclude that the work is dead.

What if someone decided to turn the power back on to the circuit, while your are busy at work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back