What paint and method on stairs and bannister

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are going to paint the stairs and Bannister white. The key is that it looks very clean, modern, fresh as we are hoping to sell at some point in the next few months.

I saw somewhere on here a while back someone mention specific paint for this type of job but can't find the name of it now.

Can you recommend how to approach this job, exactly how you would prepare and paint it and also which paint products to use?

(Ignore the mess and clutter!)

img_20200405_193800-jpg.187877

img_20200405_193805-jpg.187878

img_20200405_193812-jpg.187879

Sponsored Links
It basically needs sanding down and then painting with a good wood paint. Did you have a finish in mind, gloss or satin for example?

I have just done my skirting with Leyland Trade Acrylic Primer Undercoat Paint White (Toolstation) and then Johnstones Aqua Satin Brilliant White (Johnstones Paint Centre) over the top. Looks very white and clean.

Personally I would stay away from gloss as it is oil based and will yellow over time.

Any major damage you're trying to hide? None visible in the pics...a good clean & polish would get my vote. Replacing the carpet would be a much easier refresher, along with repainting the walls.
If you do go white paint, you'll end up having to repaint all the other woodwork to match

Sponsored Links
It basically needs sanding down and then painting with a good wood paint. Did you have a finish in mind, gloss or satin for example?

I have just done my skirting with Leyland Trade Acrylic Primer Undercoat Paint White (Toolstation) and then Johnstones Aqua Satin Brilliant White (Johnstones Paint Centre) over the top. Looks very white and clean.

Personally I would stay away from gloss as it is oil based and will yellow over time.

Hey, I looked it up and probably satin which seems to fulfil our plan of making it light and clean

Any major damage you're trying to hide? None visible in the pics...a good clean & polish would get my vote. Replacing the carpet would be a much easier refresher, along with repainting the walls.
If you do go white paint, you'll end up having to repaint all the other woodwork to match

No major damage. Some tiny holes where a screw or nail has been.

Not sure what you mean by other wood? You mean the dado rail and skirting? These are already white and should match enough shouldn't they?

Our plan is to paint all the brown wood white, the end of the staircase that you can see, the bannister and the vertical wooden support at the bottom

If the existing white paint has been on for a few years you'll notice the difference....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back