What pipe to use for raised bed hoop house/tunnel/netting frame, (etc)?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

The internet/youtube is awash with people using pvc waterpipe to make arches for their raised beds, which are then covered with clear plastic (to make a greenhouse type set up), or netting (to keep insects and birds away from crops.

The videos are mostly American and they all talk about Schedule 40 PVC water pipe. Usually 1/2 inch diameter. What is the equivalent type of pipe in the UK? I've had a look online but it is hard to tell from the pics whether it will be bendy enough. I'm sure it is quite a standard product, just not sure what it's called! :)

If anyone could let me know that would be very helpful. Any tips on where to get it from cheap would also be great. I would be much happier if I could get it in black or at least a dark colour. White just wouldn't look right in my garden.

Many thanks

Max

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for all the helpful replies.

Would definitely like to use black if possible, although I have now heard contrary arguments; that it would be more UV stable vs it would degrade quicker. Still, I guess even a few years usage would be ok, although I don’t like things going to landfill so the longer it lasts the better.

Nige F - I couldn't find that and wondered if by any chance you have a link please?

I’ve found a few online retailers selling coils of black MDPE but no-one local. Not sure if it is because I’m looking in the wrong places… Any tips on what type of shops I should be contacting would be very helpful. I’m in North Norfolk btw, just in case anyone reading is local.

It’s interesting that on this side of the pond everyone is using the coiled MDPE. Looking at people’s structures it seems to serve the purpose perfectly, I had ruled it out at first thinking in would be TOO flexible. But I’m presuming it isn’t seeing as it is used so much. In the US they tend to use straight lengths of pipe which then bend and form and arch under their own pressure (if that makes sense).

I’ve also seen stuff like these about:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/conduit-20mm-x-3m-black-60m-pack-of-20/97817?_requestid=292335

http://www.screwfix.com/p/floplast-pushfit-32mm-waste-pipe-black-3m-x-10/24661?_requestid=292076

If I cannot get the MDPE locally, would they work or do you think they would be too brittle and snap? Would they last as well? I guess I’d also have to think about the overall height because my beds are a little wider at 5 foot….

Thanks again to everyone for the fantastic help.

Max

Sponsored Links
The black mdpe pipe uv resistant and approved for water pipe above ground. at my last property I had 150 metres above ground to a cattle trough for 29 years and was still ok when I moved.
You can usually buy it from agricultural merchants and I see from a search, there are a few listed for Norfolk.
The tubes you have linked to have too thin a wall in my opinion.
litl

Have you looked at black overflow pipe from Toolstation, if you are trying to keep the cost down?

Yes, that's the stuff I meant. I have made squared off frames with it, using the matching Ts and elbows and also made three-way corners to match, using solvent weld adhesive. Where I wanted a loop, I warmed the pipe with a hot-air gun and formed it fairly easily. You can use debris netting as a cover, if you want to keep the cabbage whites out.

For curved work the water pipe wins hands down for ease of use as it comes in a coil which has a memory effect so its easy to make consistantly accurate hoops.
litl

If you want a big polytunnel you can get coils of blue pipe in up to 63mm diameter sizes. They will slip over scaffolding poles which you sink into the ground first.

Never used MDPE pipe but I have an allotment where I see it used everywhere - and year after year. Seems to last and it's popular so I guess good for the job :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back