What plaster finish is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have just moved into a new property and the walls are in pretty good condition. The property is ex council stone built terraced I believe constructed in the 1920s

Is anybody able to tell me what type of plaster finish this is? It's a slightly off white with speckles. It has a smooth finish and seems harder than lime plaster when I scratch it?

Reason I ask is if it is indeed lime plaster I would then consider a breathable paint. If it is more modern, non breathable then I may just opt for normal emulsion

Thank you very much

Michael

Attachments

• IMG_20230421_145513.jpg
    IMG_20230421_145513.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 48
Sponsored Links
Solid wall house vs cavity? Probably being 1920s so lime

Solid wall house vs cavity? Probably being 1920s so lime
Thank you it's just because it looks in very good condition but who knows. Maybe someone skimmed using the right product in later years which is extremely rare! Not sure if it's worth going for breathable paint as I've found other sections are gypsum

Look at image here and identify If you have a cavity.
If you have solid walls you can't use modern plaster
I'll guess that is lime mixed up on site. Local quarry sand

Sponsored Links
Look at image here and identify If you have a cavity.
If you have solid walls you can't use modern plaster
I'll guess that is lime mixed up on site. Local quarry sand
I think that it's solid wall. Here is a bic of the exterior and I have gone in through and airbrick and there wasn't a straight cavity that I could feel. Don't really want to be smashing off all the gypsum in places but will see. Seems dry on the walls

Attachments

• IMG_20230422_155738.jpg
    IMG_20230422_155738.jpg
    210.3 KB · Views: 42
Think you need to treat it as lime.
Mixed up in 1920s using local quarry hence it looks like it does. Maybe

If there's no damp showing on your walls then leave the plaster/render alone.

FWIW: next time you point the stone exterior hack off all that strap pointing to a, say, 20mm to 25mm depth and re-point with a 4:1 sand & NH lime mix.

If there's no damp showing on your walls then leave the plaster/render alone.

FWIW: next time you point the stone exterior hack off all that strap pointing to a, say, 20mm to 25mm depth and re-point with a 4:1 sand & NH lime mix.
Top man thank you for responding. It's much appreciated. I think I might opt for the breathable paint also as I don't want to be sealing up the walls for the remainder of the plasters life

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back