What ply for shower room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok there are so many different types of ply and many are very expensive.

This is for a shower enclosure for an ensuite bathroom which has been formed from 2x4 stud with standard 12.5mm around the outside perimeter.

I've been told to use ply for the walls and floor of the enclosure, but standard ply for the rest of the room. For the floor I need 18mm (floor is constructed from treated timber sitting on edge frame fixed to concrete subfloor)

And 12 for the walls but what to buy? Standard WBP good enough or does it need to be marine which is v v expensive? Cheers

Sponsored Links
Went with the cheaper OSB external grade, didn't buy the marine because that's v v expensive. Hope I'm right

Sponsored Links
Hmm, I wondered about that. OSB is not good in damp situations - it swells.

Tile backer would still let water through, although unlike osb it won't absorb and swell. Can you take the osb back and get standard WBP? Failing that, get a tanking kit.

Oh apologies chaps I meant to say I had bought the WBP, I was thinking about OSB at the time lol.

So WBP ok?

Yes, but tank it for belt n braces. Your choice, your money.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back