Substrate for Multipanel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am looking to install a 3 sided shower enclosure using Multipanel and need some advice on what to fix to. The shower was previously tiled on 12mm marine ply on timber studwork. The tile adhesive is stuck to the ply along with the old tanking membrane. The surface is ripped from removing the tiles and I've tried removing the adhesive, but I think it would be easier to re-board.

Mulitpanel say you can fix directly to studs and you don't need to tank behind the panels. Would it be more robust to fully board and tank anyway? I could fix Multipanel to the studs on the side walls, but I would need to build the back wall out by 12mm because of the pipework, so need some sort of board there. Can I use 12mm OSB board? Or would something else like Aquapanel or a tile backer board be more suitable in this situation?

IMG-7587.JPG

IMG-7582.JPG
IMG-7583.JPG
IMG-7584.JPG

Sponsored Links
Update: managed to get most of the tanking and adhesive off with a heat gun and scraper. Plan is to stick multipanel directly to ply with no tanking.

If anyone has any advice or tips with working with Multipanel I am all ears!

I think it's vital to obey the instructions to the letter regarding the sealing of the panels, particularly where they locate into the side anodised trims.
A dry run is essential, and once you are happy with that then the adhesion can begin.
I used the instant grab adhesive provided by multipanel but of course it isn't - therefore consider some sort of bracing from the opposite walls with timber battens and leave it to completely dry before continuing with the next stage.
A helper is very useful as the sheets are heavy!
I found the panels cut well with a fine toothed TCT tipped circular saw.
John :)

Sponsored Links
If you really want to board out behind, use aquapanel or Marmox or some similar waterproof product designed for the job
I've got one of these to do fairly soon, will be fixing direct to studs cos very limited roomspace

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back